Published on Friday, July 22nd, 2016 at 4:07 pm.

Family lose business after fryer fire in Portsmouth 


Three fire crews from Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service based at  Southsea have tackled a blaze after a deep fat fryer caught light spreading to the building.   Crews rushed to the  scene just after 3pm this afternoon.

It is  believed  that  a worker  tried to extinguish the blaze  by  throwing  water over the  fryer in an attempt to put the fire out. Instead this made it worse.

Officers from the Hampshire Roads Policing from Havant closed The Hard and traffic  was  diverted away from the area.

A member of staff who working in the Take Away raised the  alarm after someone spotted smoke and a sign of fire in the building.

He said “Everybody is okay and there are no casualties. We evacuated and called the fire brigade. We have  only  just  resigned  the lease  on the  building. I’m upset as I have  lost my  business and we as a family are going to have to start again. We have been here  ten years.”

The Fire Service taped off the  area in a bid to keep shoppers and people back  whilst crews dealt with the blaze that was well alight with flames shooting out of the ventilation system.

Crew Manager, Scott Yule from Southsea Fire Station said, “When we came round the corner, we saw flames flicking out of the ventilation system so fire crews quickly got to work in breathing apparatus using three jets and one hose reel.”


A pensioner, who did not want to give her name, was passing on the bus at the time said: “There was smoke belching out thick brown smoke and you could smell it on the bus. I could  see the flames  coming out of the  window  before the  fire  service  turned up.”

Fire  crews wearing  breathing apparatus  using  a high pressure hose reel and three  jets battled  to  stop the blaze.

A spokesman for the fire service said that they had  sent  three appliances from Southsea  It is understood the fire broke out in the ventilation system

Fire crews are still at the  scene checking for hotspots  and to ensure the flames have been fully extinguished.

Latest article from UK News in Pictures: