Fire crews from Hightown and St Mary's along with support vehicles from Eastleigh have been called to container full of petrol and ground maintenance equipment that has caught fire after a failed attempt to break in and steal it.
Crews were called just before 2:30pm this afternoon to the Hamble United Sports ground on Satchell Lane after the chairman raised the alarm of smoke bellowing from container.
Crews made attempts to save the equipment but the fire had spread to professional lawn mowers and strimmers totally destroying them
Hampshire fire and rescue service arson task force are working with Hampshire Police after thieves used a disc cutter in an attempt to steal the equipment from the container
A spokesman for Hampshire Fire and Rescue said: “We got the call at 2.22pm and it is petrol inside a shipping container on fire.”
“Two breathing apparatus are being used, one jet and a high pressure hose reel.”
The spokesman added two fire engines were called to the scene, one from St Mary’s Fire Station and the other from Hightown.