Published on Monday, September 26th, 2016 at 9:34 pm.

Fire crews called after generator turns into fire ball in Romsey


Four fire appliances and an aerial ladder have been sent to tackle a blaze in Romsey this evening. Crews were called just after 8:30pm this evening, crews from Eastleigh,Redbridge and Romsey and an aerial ladder from St Mary’s responded to the blaze along with a hazardous area response unit from South central ambulance service. Further support vehicles from Hampshire Fire and rescue have also been sent to the scene.

A number of residents who recently moved into the property were led to safety after neighbours spotted flames over the hedges and raised the alarm.

Fire crews remain at the scene attempting to stop the blaze from spreading to the joining building. Crews on a ladder are using four hoses reels. Part of building that was recently built and was due a grand opening in October has been damaged by the fire.
Local residents complained about noise caused by the generator that was brought in to connect the block to due to a delay in being connected to the national grid transformers. Contractors agreed with resident to deal with the noise after being served with a noise abatement notice over the use of the generators. It said it was working to resolve the noise issue could be seen yesterday boxing in the generator with an outer wooden shell. This was checked by the Fire wardens and signed off.
Arson Fire investigation teams from Hampshire Fire and Rescue have been seen arriving at the scene who are working with officers from Hampshire Constabulary. Crews managed to gain control of the blaze but are likely to remain damping down hot spots for a few more hours. The area around the burnt out generator remained sealed off and is being treated as a crime scene. Resident one who had only just moved in this afternoon could be seen being helped by staff and community wardens to leave the building. It’s believed that these have been offered accommodation at a local hotel whilst other are staying with family and friends.

The company in charge of the building have issued the following : That following a failure to deliver mains electricity to the development of 52 sheltered apartments, the company had to rely on emergency power for their residents in the form of two temporary generators.

The statement said: “Regrettably the generators, which are required to provide power to the building 24 hours a day, have caused noise and disturbance to nearby residents.

“Upon receipt of the Notice, Renaissance Retirement immediately took positive steps to address complaints.”

The firm said that to combat the noise they have had to insulate the generators.

Renaissance Retirement’s Planning Director, Peter Tanner, said: “It is most regrettable that a failure to provide mains electricity to our building on the scheduled date has required us to resort to emergency power and that this has resulted in noise and disturbance to our neighbours.

“We very much sympathise with them that on top of the normal disruption associated with a major development scheme such as this that they have been faced with this unforeseen additional nuisance.

“It will come as little comfort to them, but we would like to put on record, that we have acted immediately this noise nuisance was drawn to our attention.”

Latest article from UK News in Pictures: