Kitchen Fire Rips through Flat leaving it gutted at Gunwharf Quays

More than 40 firefighters tackled a severe blaze that tore through an apartment block in a busy shopping area today.
Smoke was seen billowing from a fourth floor flat above a Tesco Express store in Gunwharf Quays, Portsmouth, Hants.Smoke was seen billowing from the windows.

A spokesman for Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service said nine fire engines were in attendance, with around 45 firefighters attempting to put out the flames.

The spokesman added: “We got called at 12.58pm. The fire is on the fourth floor and is believed to have started in a kitchen.”

All residents were evacuated from the building by fire crews as they fought the blaze using specialist equipment.

One person received treatment at the scene, but did not require any further medical assistance and was not taken to hospital.

Officers cordoned off roads around Gunwharf Quays, but the shopping centre remained accessible to pedestrians.

Firefighters warned residents to remain indoors as they tackled the blaze.

All locals were urged to keep windows and doors shut.

More from UK News in Pictures: