Home Your Area HOME COUNTIES Fire crews called to a property fire in Reading after Candle Catches...

Fire crews called to a property fire in Reading after Candle Catches Blind

157
SHARE
20170410072027

Fire crews from Reading Whitley Wood and Wokingham Road have been called to deal with property fire in the Whitley Wood area of Reading this evening. Crews were called just before 7pm to the detached property on Farmers close. Damage is thought to have been contained to the area of where the blaze broke out in the kitchen.
The man had a lucky escape after trying to tackle the fire that is understood to have started from a candle setting fire to the blind in the kitchen of the property. The man foolishly attempted to put out the fire using a powdered extinguisher before alerting the fire service. He has been treated at the scene by firefighters who have given him oxygen . The man was also checked over by a paramedic from South Central and treated smoke inhalation.

Crews arrived within minutes to tackle the fire. One team was committed in breathing apparatus tackled the fire using a hose reel. Their quick actions stopped the spread to other parts of the property neighbouring properties in the street. The damage to the kitchen area of the property has left a substantial amount of fire damage to the kitchen. The house was also heavily smoke-logged caused by a mixture of smoke and dry powder from the extinguisher.

A Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman from the station Said:" They received a call at 6:43 to a domestic fire in Farmers Close in Reading. Crews from Whitley Wood and Wokingham Road attended. Crews put out the fire relatively quickly. Our advice is always leave the kitchen, close the door, get everyone out of the property and call 999. "We have the right equipment to deal with these kind of fires to protect us from injury. "It is quite a common thing these days, people getting injured trying to deal with the fire themselves. This man was really lucky in the end. He was home alone at the time and I am sure he will have some answering to do when his wife and child comes home. "

More from UK News in Pictures: