Charlie Gard parents announce death of ‘beautiful boy’

Charlie Gard, the baby at the centre of a legal row over his treatment, has sadly passed away, a family spokesman has confirmed.

The 11-month-old was moved to a hospice following a High Court ruling.

He suffered from an extremely rare genetic condition causing progressive brain damage and muscle weakness.

His parents, Connie Yates and Chris Gard, fought a lengthy legal battle with Great Ormond Street Hospital to allow him to be taken to the US for legal treatment.

But on Monday they dropped their legal battle after the doctor said it was too late for it to work.

In a statement issued this evening, Ms Yates said, “Our beautiful little boy has gone, we are so proud of you Charlie.”

On Thursday, she said the couple had been denied their “final wish” to have more time with him after a High Court judge ruled that he would be moved to a hospice and have his life support withdrawn soon after.

Rest In Peace, little man. xxx

More from UK News in Pictures: