Neighbour alerts Fire service to flat fire in Slough

Firefighters respond quickly after alert from neighbours

Firefighters acted swiftly to extinguish a fire at a two storey block of flats in Slough after neighbours raised the alarm.

At 7.28am on Wednesday 12 July, Thames Valley Fire Control Service received reports of a fire in a two storey block of flats in Furnival Avenue, Slough.

Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service crews from Slough and Langley fire stations were sent to the scene.

A neighbour had phoned 999 after smelling smoke in their apartment and their smoke alarms sounding.

On arrival firefighters discovered that the source of the smoke was a small fire in the bathroom of the property below the neighbours’ apartment, which was unoccupied at the time.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the fire using one hose reel. After the fire they used equipment to ventilate the property.

Crews were at the scene for about two hours, and although there was smoke damage in the downstairs property, most damage was limited to the bathroom downstairs.

Station Manager Michael Humphreys who attended the incident said: “Thanks to the fast reactions of neighbours and our firefighters, the damage in these flats was contained before it put lives at risk.

“This incident also highlights the importance of having working smoke alarms in your property. In this case they provided an early warning system, which the neighbours were able to act upon quickly and effectively, by calling 999.”

If you want to find out more about fire safety in the home, please click below:

At Home

More from UK News in Pictures: