BREAKING NEWS SOUTHAMPTON

Police charge Teenager over M3 Motorway Chemical Incident

Saturday 23rd September 2017 Winchester Hampshire Police closed M3 after Dirty Bomb is found at the side of the motorway.The M3 is closed due to a major ongoing incident.The road was shut at about 4am this morning and there are huge delays, while many motorists are at a standstill on the carriageway.Traffic also solid on the Sparsholt Rd from Standon- everyone's backing up and turning round #M3. Hampshire Cosntabulary says that the M3 northbound is being opened at junction 11 for a "safe, steady release of traffic”. No info for travellers at #Winchester park and ride - people have been waiting for 1hr after 2hrs to get here #M3.Some drivers are saying they weren't adequately warned that the motorway had been closed Patsy and Dave Green are stranded at Winchester park and ride and have been waiting for more than an hour for a bus into Winchester. The couple from Totton saw what they thought was a bomb disposal unit go up the M3 about half an hour ago. Dave said: "I'm ex army and I can't say for sure it was a bomb disposal van but it definitely looked like one. "And it was the only vehicle going up the motorway. We also saw a couple of unmarked police cars and bikes going up." Patsy added: "I thought it was something more than an accident for it to have been closed this long". He also spoke to two police officers who told him the incident related to “national security”. He said: “I tried to use a footbridge over the motorway near St Catherine’s Hill but a police officer at the end of the bridge said it was likely to be closed all day. “I took a path and saw a bunch of police, military personnel and a Royal Navy bomb disposal unit. "The police were combing undergrowth on both sides of the motorway. “It makes you a bit worried. “I work in London and we’re seeing more and more security incidents. I just hope this turns out to be a false alarm.” A Ministry of Defence spokesman confirmed that a bomb disposal unit was “providing assistanc

Police investigating an incident on the M3 on Saturday 23 September have arrested and charged a 17-year-old boy from Winchester.

He was charged on 30 September with:

Two counts of arson with intent to endanger life in connection with incidents on the M3 on 16 and 23 September
Two counts of causing danger to road users in connection with incidents on the M3 on 16 and 23 September


The M3 motorway was closed for over 11 hours whilst specialist officers carried out investigations that caused major delays and left many trapped on the motorway

More from UK News in Pictures: