Detectives investigating the fatal fire at Grenfell Tower have today, Thursday 7 June, made nine arrests for fraud.
The arrests – of eight men and one woman – were made at addresses across London. All of the offences police are investigating are linked to people who have fraudulently benefited through housing or allowances, by claiming to be victims of the fire. The amounts involved range from £20,000 to £100,000.
Detective Superintendent Matt Bonner, Senior Investigating Officer, said:
“It is completely unacceptable that people would seek to profit from such a human tragedy, and try and attach themselves to a community that they are not part of. Over the last 12 months I have met all the families whose loved ones died; many of the survivors and members of the local community from Grenfell."
Detectives also updated on the progress of the criminal investigation into the cause and spread of the fire on 14 June 2017.
In total, 193 officers and staff continue to work full time on this complex and large scale investigation. 507 organisations have been identified as having a role in the construction, refurbishment and management of Grenfell Tower. Through ongoing investigative work police are focusing efforts on the 36 organisations who played the most significant part.
All onsite police forensic examination within Grenfell Tower has now concluded, and a series of offsite reconstruction tests are being carried out on elements of the buildings' construction. This involves specialist experts.
Commander Stuart Cundy, overseeing the Met response, said:
“As we approach one year on since the terrible tragedy at Grenfell Tower, my thoughts are with all those so deeply affected by that night.
“This large and complex investigation remains a priority and we have made significant progress over the last year. We will continue to investigate fearlessly, as we move forward – all our officers and staff remain committed to carrying out a thorough investigation.”