Yesterday, Thursday 16 April 2020, we announced we were reopening four town parks.
We have been closely monitoring these today and the response has been extremely positive.
A small number of local residents have accessed their nearby green spaces for exercise, with all walking or cycling to the parks, and there have been no reports of any issues.
We will continue to maintain a strong presence in these areas over the weekend and ask our residents to comply with Government guidelines when visiting their local park:
- In line with Government advice, members of the public can leave their homes ONCE A DAY for exercise.
- Please do not travel unnecessarily, and only leave your home alone or with members of your household.
- Gatherings of more than two people in parks or other public spaces are not permitted and police will enforce this rule.
- If you are using a park, please keep at least two metres apart from anyone not in your household at all times, take necessary hygiene precautions and wash your hands when you get home.
- Dog owners should only walk their pet on a lead and keep two metres away from other people and animals.
- Please do not use a park if you or a member of your household is unwell or displaying any symptoms of Covid-19.
The following parks will remain open from 9am until 8pm, seven days a week, to allow people the opportunity to walk, cycle or run in a safe environment.
- People’s Park – Ballymena
- Ecos – Ballymena
- Town Park – Larne
- Shaftesbury Park – Carrickfergus
We will continue to keep the opening of these parks under review.
Anybody breaching public health guidelines will be asked to leave the parks, and if required, Council will notify our colleagues in the PSNI of any issues.