More than 70 firefighters were battling this evening to prevent two potentially devastating grass fires from spreading to nearby homes in Swanley and parts of the M25 after a blaze broke out in a tinder dry field on Beechenlea Lane in Swnaley.
The blaze was quickly brought under control after 12 fire engines, a water carrier, and firefighters were dispatched to tackle the blaze and prevent it from spreading, as large plumes of smoke could be seen from the other side of the M25 in Kent. Kent Police officers closed part of the road, and residents were warned that they might have to evacuate their homes. There were no injuries reported during the incident.
Because of the recent hot, dry weather, the ground has become extremely dry, which means grassland and parks will burn quickly if exposed to even the smallest spark.
Grass fires are commonly caused by carelessly discarded cigarettes or matches, as well as rubbish left lying around, such as glass bottles, which can start flames by magnifying the sun’s rays.
Every one of us can help reduce the risk of fire and keep our communities clean by ensuring that trash is properly disposed of and cigarettes are properly disposed of.
If you see a grass fire, do not try to extinguish it yourself because grass fires can move quickly and change direction without warning. If you see smouldering grass, call the fire department and tell them where the fire is.”
A spokesman for Kent Fire and Rescue said: Twelve fire engines and a number of support vehicles have been sent to the scene.
Firefighters are working in difficult conditions due to the variable wind direction causing the fire spread in different directions.
People living in the area are being asked to close windows and doors due to the large amount of smoke being generated. Please share with anyone you know that is not online.
The size of the fire is believed to be around 12 acres, the equivalent of 6 football pitches.
There are no reported injuries and the cause isn’t known.