After rescuing a man from a fire at a care home on Abbotsford Road in Goodmayes last night, firefighters issued a smoking safety reminder.
The fire damaged half of a flat on the first floor of the building. A man was rescued by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus via an internal staircase. London Ambulance Service crews transported him to the hospital. Another 13 residents were helped to safety.
The fire is thought to have been started accidentally by smoking materials.
“We’d rather you didn’t smoke at all, but if you do, it’s absolutely critical you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it,” a London Fire Brigade spokesperson said.
“If you don’t, you risk starting a fire that will not only destroy your home but will also cost you your life.”
The Fire Brigade was called at 9.53pm, and the fire was out by 11.13pm. Firefighters from Dagenham, Barking, Romford, and Ilford were dispatched to the scene.
For smokers, it is safer to smoke outside, but make sure cigarettes are put out and properly disposed of.
Never smoke in bed, and avoid smoking on armchairs and sofas, especially if you expect to fall asleep.
Take extra precautions if you’re tired, taking prescription drugs, or have consumed alcohol.
Use proper ashtrays that cannot tip over and properly stub cigarettes out.
Always empty ashtrays with care.
Before disposing of smoking materials, make sure they are out, cold, and preferably wet – never use a wastepaper basket.