Three fire engines and around 15 firefighters were called to the incident. Crews wearing breathing apparatus rescued two men from a first floor flat. They were assessed on scene by London Ambulance Service.
The flat was partially damaged by fire.
The cause of the fire is believed to be cooking left unattended.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said:
“Never leave cooking unattended on the cooker or hob. You should have working smoke alarms in every room where a fire can start, plus a heat alarm in the kitchen and the bathroom. They should be tested regularly.”
Firefighters’ tips for safer cooking:
Don’t leave cooking unattended on the hob or grill – if you have to leave the kitchen, turn off the heat.
Not feeling 100%? Order a takeaway – if you’re very tired, have been drinking alcohol or are taking medication that might make you drowsy, it’s safer not to risk it.
Try to keep the oven, hob, cooker hood, extractor fan and grill clean – built up fat and grease can ignite and cause a fire.
Double check the cooker and hob are turned off when you’ve finished cooking
The Brigade was called at 9.07pm and the fire was under control by 9.30pm.
Fire crews from Lambeth, Dowgate and Brixton stations attended the incident.