Teenager found guilty of murdering student outside Clapham South Tube station

A teenager has been convicted of murdering a student who was stabbed outside Clapham South Tube station last November.

Malcolm Mide-Madariola, 17, was fatally attacked following a confrontation with two males who were intent on fighting the group he was standing with after college.

A 17-year-old youth was found guilty of murder and possession of an offensive weapon at the Old Bailey. He will be sentenced on 5 July at the same court.

Treynae Campbell, 19, of Longfield Crescent, Sydenham, was acquitted of murder and manslaughter but pleaded guilty to possession of an offensive weapon.

Police were called at around 4.35pm on Friday, 2 November 2018, to reports of a stabbing in Balham Hill, outside Clapham South Underground station.

Officers and London Ambulance Service attended. Malcolm was found suffering from a stab wound. Officers and paramedics gave the boy emergency first aid before he was taken to a south London hospital, where sadly he died a short time later.

His next of kin were informed.

A post-mortem examination held on Monday, 5 November, at St George’s Hospital Mortuary gave the cause of death as multiple stab wounds.

Detectives from the Homicide and Major Crime Command quickly launched a murder investigation led by Detective Chief Inspector John Massey. This included a review of local CCTV footage and forensic analysis.

Three men were subsequently arrested. A 19-year-old man was released with no further action.

The court heard how Malcolm, from Peckham, was stabbed three times, including once in the heart, during the attack on 2 November.

The weapon used was a hunting knife which police would later trace to the 17-year-old convicted today.

DCI John Massey said: “Malcolm was a student at a college in Clapham and had his whole future ahead of him.

“The culprit, in this case, had clearly come to cause trouble and did not hesitate to inflict fatal injuries following a minor dispute.

“The dangers of carrying a knife are clear to see. The fact that a specialist hunting knife was used and purchased in advance makes the attack all the more sickening.

“Nothing will bring Malcolm back but I hope today’s verdict goes some small way to helping the family move on from what has been a deeply traumatic phase in their lives.