Man who smashed down woman front door in Folkstone is jailed for two years

Breaking down the door of a woman’s house and demanding money has led to more than two years in jail for Wayne Palmer.

The 41-year-old of no fixed address showed up at a property in Folkestone on Friday 30 November 2018 asking to speak with his victim. Once inside the house he became verbally aggressive and started demanding money. He grabbed her handbag and started emptying it. His behaviour frightened the victim and the people she was with and Palmer was handed £20 to leave.

He repeated this pattern of behaviour on a number of other occasions.

On Saturday 1 December 2018 he paid the woman another visit, this time at her own home and banged on the front door shouting he would kick it down if she didn’t let him inside. She opened the door through fear he would break it and despite telling him she didn’t have any money he grabbed her wrist and pushed her against the wall. Palmer was once again given cash and then he left.

On Monday 10 December 2018 the same woman called Kent Police to report that Palmer was outside her house shouting and banging on the window. She was so scared she went into a bedroom and used furniture to barricade herself inside. She heard Palmer going through the house shouting her name before he managed to force his way into the room she was hiding in. She gave him money to leave and then saw he had shattered the front door.

Palmer initially denied the offences but at the start of his trial at Canterbury Crown Court he pleaded guilty to burglary, assault and criminal damage and was sentenced to two-and-a-half years in prison on Monday 20 May 2019.

Investigating officer PC Karl Shonhard said: ‘Palmer put his victim through a number of terrifying ordeals where he repeatedly hassled her for money to fund his unhealthy lifestyle. She was brave in reporting him to us and thankfully he will now serve time in prison where he no longer poses a threat to her.

‘Palmer has also been given a restraining order, which prevents him from making contact with her for a number of years after he is released. If he does he will be in breach of that order and will risk being sent back to prison.’