Detectives are appealing for information after a woman with a toddler in a pushchair was stabbed in an attempted robbery

mum stabbed in islington as son 3 sleeps in pushchair

Detectives are appealing for information after a woman with a toddler in a pushchair was stabbed in an attempted robbery.

DS Adrian Brown from Islington CID said: “This woman had her child with her and was kind enough to stop and help a young man with directions. Terribly, this request turned out to be a ruse and the male suspect demanded the woman’s phone. She refused and was stabbed in the leg. By pure chance the injury inflicted did not cause any lasting damage. It could easily have been far worse. We need to catch this dangerous male.

“We are knocking on doors and reviewing local CCTV footage but need the public’s help. The suspect is described as black male, 5ft 3ins, of large build and was wearing dark coloured clothing, including a jacket and a ‘trucker’ style cap at the time of the attack. Did you see him hanging around the area? Perhaps you noticed him making off? Equally, if you have information about who could have been involved, please call the police. He did not hesitate to use a weapon against a mother with a child. We need to find him and bring him in for questioning.”

Extra patrols have been stepped up in the area where the offence took place.

Anyone who witnessed this incident or has information is asked to call West Area Command on 101 quoting CAD6063/07JUN, Tweet @MetCC or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Police were called at 4.56pm on Friday, 7 June to reports of a stabbing on Caedmon Road, N7.

Officers attended the scene with LAS and found a woman in her 30s suffering with a stab wound to her leg.

The suspect, a black male 14-16yrs, approached the victim asking for directions.

After giving them to him, he then asked the victim for her mobile.

When she refused, he pulled out a knife and stabbed her in the back of her leg.

He then fled the scene heading towards the Tollington and Holloway Road area.

The victim was taken to a central London hospital where her injuries were treated. They are not life threatening or changing. She has now been discharged.

Officers from the Central North Command Unit continue to investigate.

No arrests have been made. Enquiries continue.