Three fire crews deal with house blaze started by a candle in Chatham

woman and dog rescued from flooded home near sevenoaks

Firefighters from Kent Fire and Rescue Service were called to a fire in at a property on Albert Road in Chatham.

Three fire engines were sent to the scene and crews arrived to find thick smoke and flames coming out of the first-floor window.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet to tackle the blaze. No casualties were reported and the fire is believed to have been started accidentally by a candle.

Following the incident, crews are urging the public to take extra care when using candles in the home. Candles should be fitted in a candle holder, placed on a non-flammable surface. They shouldn’t be left unattended when burning, especially with young children or pets in the house. Make sure candles aren’t burning close to curtains, bedding, clothing or even plants which might catch fire. Be sure not place burning candles on window sills or on the floor. Extinguish all candles before going to bed. Burning candles shouldn’t be placed anywhere where they might be knocked over or caught in a draught. Be sure not allow anything to fall into the molten wax as this can form a secondary wick. It’s best not to move candles when they are alight or while the wax is molten. Consider using LED candles instead of real candles. Remember to buy a smoke alarm and test it regularly.