Man rescued from heavily smoke flilled flat in Ramsgate

woman and dog rescued from flooded home near sevenoaks

A man has been rescued from a heavily smoke gilled flat in Ramsgate

Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to King Street in Ramsgate to reports of smoke seen coming from a flat. Two fire engines attended and crews wearing breathing apparatus entered the home and led a man outside to safety.

He was suffering the effects of smoke inhalation and was taken to hospital by ambulance. Fortunately, there was no fire, but the flat was heavily smoke logged due to cooking that had been left on.

Following this near miss, KFRS is urging people to keep looking while they’re cooking, and not to get distracted to ensure a fire safe meal time.

Leanne McMahon, Group Manager for Community Safety, said: Over half of all the fires we attend start in the kitchen and the majority are caused by unattended cooking, a build-up of grease and fat on the cooker, or by kitchen mishaps, where items such as tea towels, chopping boards or washing baskets have been left on the hob.

Help prevent a kitchen fire in your home by following these tips: Keep an eye on your cooking and remember to switch off your cooker if you have to leave the room Use a timer for items placed in your oven or grill to remind when your food is done and to save it from burning Plan and prepare – if you know you have a busy week ahead, try and plan in advance and prepare meals that do not require lots of cooking Avoid storing or placing household items on your cooker or stove.

Keep your cooker, grill and oven clean to avoid a build-up of grease and fat that could start a fire.

Keep children and pets well away from your cooking area Ensure electric cookers, toasters and microwaves are turned off at the mains when you have finished using them Fit a working smoke alarm on each floor of your home and test it weekly to ensure it provides early warning in the event of a fire.”