Neighbours raise the alarm to fire in Dover

A couple have their neighbours to thank, for raising the alarm to a fire in their garage in Station Road, St Martins Hill Dover at 4.36am. Kent Fire and Rescue Service received a 999 call after the woman was woken to a strange sound, which she believed was her wheelie bin being moved. She checked to find sparks and smoke coming from the garage opposite. Her husband rushed across to alert the residents, an older couple who were taken to safety in the neighbours home. Two fire engines were sent to the bungalow, where fire crews discovered the consumer unit had sparked setting fire to some items nearby. Crews isolated the power and used a hose reel and a powder extinguisher to put the small fire out, they also checked the roof void of the garage to make sure the fire hadn’t spread. Firefighters carried out a safe and well visit, fitting working smoke alarms in the property before leaving just before 7am.