Firefighters have issued a candle safety reminder after a fire at a flat on Lakeside Drive in Park Royal

Screenshot 2020 10 04 at 21.00.11

Part of a flat on the third floor of an eight-storey block was damaged by the fire. A woman left the flat before the Brigade arrived. There were no reports of any injuries.

The Brigade’s fire investigators believe the fire was accidental and was caused by an unattended candle which had been placed on a wicker basket. The candle caught light to a nearby blind and also caused an aerosol contained in the basket to explode.

Station Officer Tony Aston-O’Donovan, who was at the scene, said: “Crews made a good initial attack and worked hard to quickly bring the blaze under control so it was contained to the living room area of the flat.

“The occupant was alerted to the fire by a smoke alarm so left the property, closed the door and called 999 which is the right thing to do.

“Candles, incense sticks and oil burners are one of the most common causes of fire within homes. They should never be left unattended and they should always be kept away from anything which can easily catch fire.

“You should always make sure they are in a suitable fire resistant candle-holder which won’t be knocked over. Make sure you put them out entirely when you leave the room and especially before bed.”

The Brigade was called at 1936 and the fire was under control by 2033. Six fire engines and around 40 firefighters from Wembley, Acton, Ealing, Chiswick, Northolt and Park Royal fire stations were at the scene.

Firefighters’ candle safety top tips

  • Make sure you put out any candles, incense and oil burners when you leave the room and especially before bed.
  • These items should always be held firmly in heat-resistant holders and placed on a stable surface where they won’t be knocked over.
  • Keep them away from materials that might catch fire – that’s things like curtains, furniture, clothes and hair. 
  • Be especially careful if you have a lot of flammable items in your home, like collections of books, magazines or papers. 
  • Be aware that tea lights get very hot and without proper holders can melt through plastic surfaces like a TV or bath.
  • To avoid accidents keep candles and other naked flames out of reach of children and pets.
  • LED candles can be a great alternative – they’re safe even if you fall asleep or forget to blow them out