Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to a kitchen fire on Goad Avenue in Walderslade, near Chatham

download 2 29

 Two fire engines were sent to the incident, and crews arrived to a fire on the kitchen hob alight late on Monday evening.


Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet to extinguish the blaze, which is believed to have started accidentally due to items being left on the cooking area. Crews are urging the public to keep cooking areas clean and clear at all times to reduce the risk of a fire.

This includes keeping hobs clear of any household items that could catch fire, such as washing baskets, tea towels, clothing or appliances.

You should also keep your cooker, grill and oven clean to avoid a build-up of grease and fat that could start a fire, and fit at least one working smoke alarm on each floor of your home.