Emergency service Ambulance was close by just passing the station as the woman set herself on fire but despite the best efforts of emergency workers she later died in hospital.
The CCTV video shows her filling up a petrol can from a pump and then pouring it over her head and igniting it. Members of the public rush to her aid, one man taking his shirt off trying to put out the flames. Other members of the public are seen on the footage using fire extinguishers to put out the flames on both the woman and the ground.
Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service said;
“Crews from Southsea fire station and Cosham fire station were mobilised to the incident.
“Due to an ambulance passing the incident, South Central Ambulance Service were at the scene when the fire crews arrived.
“A member of public assisted in putting out the fire prior to Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service’s arrival. The victim was taken by SCAS to the hospital.
“Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service crews checked the welfare of the forecourt staff and members of the public. Crews also conducted a scene safety check.”
Crews were at the scene for nearly an hour before a stop message was issued at 11.30am.
Hampshire police said;
“We were called at 10.35am on November 1 to a report of a concern for welfare for a woman at Cosham Filling Station on Northern Road, Portsmouth.
“The 53-year-old woman was taken to hospital with serious burns. We can now confirm that she has sadly died in hospital.
“Her next of kin have been informed and are being supported. The death is not being treated as suspicious.”