Man dies after Cowes Chemical Incident

emergency services called to chemical incident in cowes on the isle of wight

Sad news coming from the incident in Cowes this evening

Emergency services rushed to scene at St Mary’s Road Cowes just after 7.30pm this evening following a chemical incident.

Despite efforts from attending paramedics from the Isle of Wight Ambulance service a man believed to be in his 20’s has died after administering an unknown chemical.
Two paramedics have also been rushed to St Mary’s Hospital for treatment.
Neighbours at the scene witnessed paramedic being given oxygen at the scene after they had entered the property.

It’s believed that one of the medics attempted to save the mans life by giving him treatment, but the medic was overcome by the chemical.
Specialist fire crews from Hampshire Fire and Rescue service have been mobilised with a Detection, Identification and Monitoring Vehicle (DIM) to the incident to work out what chemical is involed. Specialist South Central Ambulance service Paramedics from the Hazardous Area response team (HART) based at Otterbourne near Winchester have also been sent over to the Isle of Wight to assist.
A spokesman for Isle of Wight Ambulance service said The Ambulance Service initially dispatched one emergency vehicle. This was followed by a second vehicle and then a senior officer (referred to as ‘Bronze’) attended in a car. A fourth vehicle was also subsequently sent.

“One individual was initially treated at the scene. The family living at the property were conveyed to St. Mary’s Hospital, Newport for checks and are being discharged.

“The two Ambulance Service crew who attended the scene initially were also conveyed to hospital. They too are being discharged following treatment.

A Police spokesman said ” Police have closed part of St Mary’s Road in Cowes to allow Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service to manage a hazardous chemical incident.

We were contacted just after 7pm this evening (Wednesday, April 27) by Isle of Wight Ambulance Service. Paramedics were treating a man in his 20s at a house in St Mary’s Road.

Police remain on scene and are in contact with residents.