Officers are warning vehicle owners to be vigilant following four thefts of catalytic convertors in Stockton and Middlesbrough
It is believed Hondas and Toyota vehicles have been targeted.
Three reports were from Stockton and one in Middlesbrough.
Police are offering advice to vehicle owners on keeping their vehicles safe in a bid to prevent thefts:
• If possible, park your vehicle in a garage
• If the car is in an exposed area, secure the converter to the vehicle as much as possible
• Consider installing private CCTV where your vehicle is in sight
• Install good quality lighting to potentially deter opportunist thieves
• Consider marking the part with a unique mark that can be easily identifiable if stolen
Anyone with information about thefts of catalytic convertors or vehicle crime is asked to contact Cleveland Police on the non-emergency number 101. You can also contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or www.crimestoppers-uk.org.