ASHFORD BREAKING KENT

The kitchen of an Ashford home has suffered from smoke damage after a tumble dryer caught fire, thought to be because of an excessive build up of materials in the appliance.

Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to the home in Morgan Close, Willesborough and found the kitchen full of smoke. Using breathing apparatus and a hose reel jet the fire was extinguished. The machine suffered fire damage. There were no reported injuries. 

Anyone with a tumble dryer is encouraged to think about using these tips to keep safe: 

  • always clean your tumble dryer filters regularly – the fluff that builds up can catch fire if not removed
  • some items are not appropriate or the wrong size for tumble drying – check the manufacturers’ instructions particularly if you’re drying quilts or sleeping bags  
  • never leave your tumble dryer running overnight or while you’re out of the house