Thousands of Beko tumble dryers, including a model that caused a house blaze that killed a mother of two, need to be fixed over concerns they could pose a fire risk.
The manufacturer said it had “identified a batch issue with a third party-supplied component which in rare circumstances could fail and overheat, which could lead to a risk of fire”.
It said the safety alert was for some 3,450 of its machines, affecting five models – Beko and Blomberg 8kg and 9kg capacity dryers.
They were sold between May and November 2012 carrying the model numbers DCU9330W, DCU9330R, DCU8230, DSC85W and TKF8439A.
Beko warns on its website that some 3,540 of its tumble dryers pose a fire risk
Beko has urged owners of affected machines to stop using them immediately
Owners have been urged to stop using the machines immediately and unplug the appliances from the wall as a precaution.
Affected customers can arrange for a home visit by an engineer to check if their appliance needs to be repaired.
One of the affected models – the 8kg DSC85W – led to the death of Mishell Moloney last year, but Beko stressed the latest alert relates to a separate issue.