Pedestrian hit by Fire engine on its way to an emergency call

A person has been rushed to hospital following a collision involving a fire appliance answering an emergency call.

The incident  happened in Worthing in West Sussex . The  pedestrian was  struck  by the front of the fire appliance that was stationed at Worthing cracking the glass. It is understood that they were trying to cross the busy dual carriageway.
The fire crew was en route to an emergency call.
[photoshelter-gallery g_id=”G00009oE6.4tSPNA” g_name=”Hit-By-Fire-Engine” width=”100%” f_fullscreen=”t” bgtrans=”t” pho_credit=”iptc” twoup=”f” f_bbar=”t” f_bbarbig=”f” fsvis=”f” f_show_caption=”t” crop=”f” f_enable_embed_btn=”t” f_htmllinks=”t” f_l=”t” f_send_to_friend_btn=”f” f_show_slidenum=”t” f_topbar=”f” f_show_watermark=”t” img_title=”casc” linkdest=”c” trans=”xfade” target=”_self” tbs=”5000″ f_link=”t” f_smooth=”f” f_mtrx=”t” f_ap=”t” f_up=”f” height=”400″ btype=”old” bcolor=”#CCCCCC” ]

The condition of the person  is thought to be serious.

Officers from West Sussex Roads Policing have closed both sides of the A259 Littlehampton Road near to Worthing College following the incident that happened just after 2pm on Thursday afternoon, 29th June 2017.

Collision scene investigators are currently carrying out a fingertip search of the scene. Police have advised that the road is likely to remain closed for a number of hours.

A Sussex Police spokeswoman said, “Emergency services are at the scene of a collision involving a pedestrian and a fire engine at the Goring Crossways roundabout in Littlehampton Road, Goring, on Thursday (29 June) at 2.10pm. The pedestrian has been taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital, Brighton with a head injury. The road is closed in both directions and motorists are being asked to avoid the area.”

A spokesperson from West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said:, “We are in close contact with the police and ambulance service.

“We are naturally concerned about the condition of the pedestrian, and for our staff involved, but we are unable to comment further while investigations into this incident are underway.”

The road was closed in both directions and motorists were being asked to avoid the area.

More to follow