Two Reckless Bikers Jailed after woman left with life changing injuries in Southampton

two reckless bikers jailed after woman left with life changing injuries in southampton

Two motorcyclists who sped out of Southampton at up to 93mph, causing one to collide with a cyclist, have been sentenced.

Daniel Peach, 23, of Station Road, Hook and James Phillips, 25, of Waldon Gardens, West End, were in court today following the high-speed crash.

Southampton Crown Court heard how the pair had been speeding along The Avenue at speeds of up to 93mph when the collision happened with a 24-year-old female cyclist who has been left with life changing-injuries.

Peach, who pleaded guilty to causing serious injury by dangerous driving, was sentenced to 14 months in prison and disqualified from driving for three years.

Phillips, who pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, was handed a six month prison sentence suspended for two years, ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work, given a three month curfew and disqualified from driving for three years.

The court was told how the pair had left the Bedford Place area of the city to go and meet friends in Millbrook.

The prosecution told the hearing how the pair were travelling at speeds of between 85 and 93 mph along The Avenue at around 12.20am on January 16, 2016.

Just outside the Cowherds pub a cyclist was attempting to turn right, when Phillips narrowly missed her, having to veer onto the other side of the road to avoid her.

However, Peach collided with the cyclist, leaving both with serious injuries.

Peach suffered serious head injuries.

The cyclist suffered two broken legs, a broken arm and a broken wrist on her other arm, which have required skin grafts and numerous operations.

Sgt Rik Grant, senior investigating officer, said: “This was a totally avoidable collision which has left an innocent young woman with injuries so serious that her life will never be the same again.

“Both Phillips and Peach chose to risk not only their lives but the lives of other road users by travelling at ridiculously high speeds along one of the major routes out of Southampton.

“It is sheer luck that nobody died that night.

“More than a year on, this young woman is still having to endure operation after operation in the hope of trying to repair the damage caused by this collision.

“My thoughts are with her and her family as they continue to live with the terrible consequences from that night.

“I hope that this case acts as a warning to anyone who thinks that speeding on any roads, no matter how empty they appear, is worth the risk – it is not. The consequences can be devastating.”