Entire stretch of the A2 brought to a standstill after a Distressed Serving Solider climbed on top of footbridge after cutting his wrists

entire stretch of the a2 brought to a standstill after a distressed serving solider climbed on top of footbridge after cutting his wrists

An Entire stretch of the A2 has been brought to a standstill after a man climbed on top of footbridge after cutting his wrists just after midnight on Monday evening.

Traffic officer from the Met Police have closed the A2 in both directions after a concern for welfare of the serving Solider.
It is understood that he is on the over bridge near to Buckingham Avenue in Sidcup and has cut his wrist and is now say in to officers that he is going to attempt to take his own life.

Traffic on the A2 has now been stuck for over three hours whilst specialist officers talk with the distressed man. The road is closed and considerable traffic tailed back can be seen on both sides. Officers are attempting to free trapped traffic by using an onslip to turn vehicles around.

Eyewitnesses have described seeing the man standing on the wrong side of railings and police officers attempting to talk the man down.

Officers have not confirmed what has caused them to close the north and southbound carriageways of the A2 East Rochester Way but it is believed to be because of a man on a bridge over the dual carriageway at Buckingham Avenue and concerns for drivers safety.
Further concerns are also being raised whilst police pursue a stolen motorbike that has bene pursued form the Kent area with the assistants of the NPAS helicopter.

A spokesperson for the Met Police at the scene said: “The A2 is currently closed in both directions after we received concerns for the welfare of a man.

“The situation is being dealt with by special trained officers and the road closures will remain in place.

“The closure is affecting both northbound and southbound carriageways.

“We would ask motorists to avoid the area and we will update when more information is available.”

The A2 was closed at around 12am. A number of Police officers are the scene along with an ambulance, a paramedic, an ambulance officer and two HARTcrews from London Ambulance service.