The owner of thatch property watched in tears as 120 fire fighters tackle a blaze that ripped through a landmark property in the village of Lower Foyle near Fareham this evening. Speaking from the scene 71 year old Gordon Mitchell who has lived at the property for the past four years Said “I’m gutted, I’ very upset a lot of history has been lost but the main thing is everyone is alright.
Thirteen Fire engines from Hampshire and Neighbouring Surrey Fire and Rescue along with an aerial ladder from Basingstoke and other support appliances rushed to the scene just after 4pm in Thursday afternoon. It is understood that the the blaze started after a spark from lighting a wood burning set alight to thatch on the roof. Fire fighters have worked in freezing temperatures to pump water from a near by pond to tackle and extinguish the flames that have ripped through the property.