Duty Manager Graham Orchard from Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service have praised quick thinking staff after a fire broke out at a popular Island Chip shop this evening . Fire Crews from around the Isle where mobilsed as smoke billowed from the front door. Three Fire appliances and an aerial ladder platform and a command and control unit where sent to the scene just after 6pm. Crews tackled the blaze which is believed to come from one of the fryers.
An Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue spokesman said: “The fire broke out of the ground floor of the fish and chip shop and appears to have spread upwards through the kitchen ducting and spread from there. Crews are currently using a thermal imaging camera that will give us advance notice of any flare-ups. The fire is to all intense and purposes out but we are making sure that it has not spread unseen.” The chip shop was occupied at the time but there are no reports of any injuries and we did not have to rescue anyone. The staff did all the correct things and even isolated the gas supply before are arrival. Two properties above the chip shop were damaged from smoke. It is understood that these were empty. Crews have chekced the upper floors with a thermal imaging camera.