A murder investigation has been launched in Walthamstow after a 16-year-old critically injured from a shooting died from his injuries.
Police were called at approximately 22:00hrs to Markhouse road, E17 to reports of shots fired.
Officers and London Ambulance Service attended and two teenage boys – aged 16 and 15 were found injured.
They were both taken to an east London hospital.
The 15-year-old was treated for stab injuries which are no longer life changing. He has now been released from hospital.
The 16-year-old boy died in hospital at 17:45hrs on Tuesday, 3 April. His next of kin were present at hospital when he passed away.
The Homicide and Major Crime Command are now investigating alongside colleagues from the Trident and Area Crime Command.
No arrests have been made. Enquiries continue.
A post-mortem examination will be held in due course. Formal identification awaits.
Anyone with information concerning this incident is requested to call police on 101 quoting CAD 6727/02 April or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. You can also tweet information to @MetCC
A/DCI Glenn Butler from the Trident and Area Crime Command said: “I fully appreciate the alarm, shock and revulsion caused by this murder and other fatal shootings we have seen across London over the last few months.
“We are doing everything we can to identify the culprits and bring them to justice. We can’t do this alone. We need those within the community who have information about those involved to search their own conscience and call us with information.
“Detail forensic testing including ballistic analysis and the recovery of local CCTV footage is in hand and my officers will be knocking on doors.”
A/Chief Superintendent Tania Coulson from Waltham Forest, said: “My thoughts are with both families and loved ones at this devastating time for them following a fatal shooting and stabbing in our borough. Detectives from the Homicide and Major Crime Command are carrying out an investigation to catch the people responsible. This investigation is fast paced and progressing.
“Yesterday was a shocking night for all of us in Waltham Forest which left two young men suffering terrible injuries; one of whom has now died.
“We are doing all we can to address community concerns. Over the past 24 hours we have had extra officers patrolling the streets, additional police cars on the road and specialist officers from our ‘Operation Sceptre’ unit carrying out a range of intelligence led operations and patrols.
“I would like to reassure members of this community that this strong police presence will continue.
“Section 60 – an intelligence led pre-authorised power to stop and search – has been continually reviewed and put in place since the evening of Monday, 02 April. My officers have been on the streets using this power really effectively, seizing knives, stopping cars of young men carrying weapons and making arrests. That will continue into the early hours of Wednesday, 04 April and further, if necessary.
“I have also met with community leaders to brief them on our response, and update as much as is possible on the progress of the murder investigation. If you have concerns please talk to your local officer or come to one of our community meetings.
“Our Commissioner has previously stated that: ‘Violence has no place on our streets. If you are carrying a knife in Waltham Forest or linked to gang activity you need to know that we can and will take action against you.’
“As a community, we can all help to tackle the problem of violent crime. We know that you will see things, you will hear things and there are members of our community who do have information about our young people carrying knives on our streets. Tell us, we will take action, and we will do absolutely all we can to keep our streets safe.”