Rapist Jailed by Southampton Court for Seven Years

rapist jailed by southampton court for seven years

A man has been sentenced to seven years in prison today (Friday 27 April) following a three week trial at Southampton Crown Court last month.

The jury found Abdi Mohammed, 21, of Tennyson Road guilty of raping an 18-year-old woman on August 19 in 2016 at an address in St Mary’s after meeting her outside Oceana nightclub.

The woman was on a night out at Oceana nightclub with her friends when she became separated from them. Outside the club Mohammed took advantage of the woman, finding her alone and vulnerable, and put her in a car and drove her to an address in Derby Road where he raped her.

After her ordeal, the woman bravely fled the address on foot and alerted security staff at Royal South Hants Hospital on Brintons Terrace.

Detectives investigating the rape arrested Mohammed a week later and charged him in July 2017. He was identified through CCTV analysis and forensic evidence.

Today, Mohammed has been sentenced to seven years in prison.

Detective Inspector Toby Elcock said: “This was a complex and protracted case of the rape of a young woman on a night out in Southampton.

“I firstly want to commend the bravery of the young woman and thank her for the dedication she has given to the case that has allowed us to bring this offender to justice today. We would not have been able to achieve this result without her support.

“Mohammed preyed upon this young woman who found herself outside a nightclub, separated from friends, alone and vulnerable. He coerced her to go with him, convinced her that he had her best interests at heart by helping her get home, but instead took her to an address where he raped her.

“Hampshire Constabulary is dedicated to getting justice for victims and ensuring Southampton is a safe place to enjoy nights out. Remember to look out for each other, avoid walking alone and plan how you are going to get home with friends.

“I hope this sentence today goes someway to giving the woman closure and reassures her, and the communities in Hampshire, that justice has been served.”