Eleven People and Cats rescued following Southampton Flat Fire

eleven people and cats rescued following southampton flat fire

Eleven People and Several cats have been led to safety after fire broke out in a ground-floor flat in Bitterne Southampton. The people living in the four-storey block were led to safety by fire crews after smoke had filled the stairwell. The resident of the affected flat, a 71-year-old woman, has taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation but was not seriously injured. Three other people were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene. The cats were checked over by an animal rescue specialist and advice was given on cleaning the animals. Fire crews from Hightown and St Mary’s used hoses to extinguish the fire and fans to clear the smoke to allow the residents to leave the block. The fire was found to have started on the cooker in the flat’s kitchen.