Drunk Driver Who Mowed Down and Killed is Jailed by Court

drunk driver who mowed down and killed is jailed by court

An uninsured driver who fell asleep at the wheel whilst drunk before he mounted the pavement in south London, killing a man and seriously injured four others, has been jailed.

Nicquan Taylor, 24 of Etta Street, SE8 pleaded guilty to one count of causing death by dangerous driving and three counts of causing serious injury by dangerous driving at Woolwich Crown Court on Thursday, 19 April. A charge of driving without insurance lies on file.

At the same court today, Thursday 17 May, Taylor was sentenced as follows:

Four years for causing death by dangerous driving and three individual sentences of two years and eight months separate counts of causing serious injury by dangerous driving.

All sentences will run concurrently.

Taylor has also been disqualified from driving for five years and will be required to take an extended driving test when the disqualification is complete.

Police were called at approximately 8.20am on Sunday, 26 February 2017, to reports of a Mercedes car in collision with a wall and a number of pedestrians outside a car wash on Bromley Road, Bellingham.

Officers, the London Ambulance Service and London’s Air Ambulance attended and found a number of injured people who had been struck by the car driven by Taylor. The car had mounted the pavement and hit the pedestrians before crashing into a wall.

Five people – four men and a woman, were treated at the scene before being taken to hospital.

One of the victims, Iulian-Claudiu Girdoc, a 31-year-old man who worked at the car wash, suffered fatal injuries and died in hospital on 27, February 2017.

The other pedestrians struck were a 35-year-old woman and three men aged 25, 26 and 46 – they also worked at the car wash. They were all discharged from hospital following treatment.

Taylor attempted to flee the scene but was detained by people working there and an off-duty police officer.

He was arrested and taken to Lewisham Police Station.

Detectives from the Met’s Roads and Transport Policing Command commenced an investigation which established the series of events which led to Taylor colliding with the victims. Taylor was charged on 15 February 2018.

Detective Constable Steve Cannings from the Met’s Serious Collision Investigation Unit said: “Taylor admitted falling asleep at the wheel. The investigation established he had been at a central London nightclub and he had been awake for 22 hours; he was also over the drink drive limit. Taylor was clearly not in a fit condition to drive a car.

“This case highlights the dangers of not only drink driving but driving while tired.

“Some of the victims attended court and have expressed disappointment at the length of sentence handed down. Although nothing can bring back their colleague Iulian-Claudiu Girdoc; I hope they are able to find a degree of closure and are able to move on from what has been a very traumatic time in their lives.”

Three men injured in the collision attended court to be present at sentencing. Their injuries are detailed as follows:

A 22-year-old man had sustained a serious head injury. He has made a partial recovery.
A 46-year-old man sustained a head and serious leg open fracture.
A 36-year-old man sustained various lacerations and bruising to the head and chest.

A 35-year-old woman sustained a serious head injury, neck and pelvic fractures, she made a partial recovery. She was not in court for sentencing.