Kitchen Fire See One taken to Hospitial

kitchen fire see one taken to hospitial

Incident details
Firefighters were called to reports of a kitchen fire at student accommodation in Blake Avenue, Gillingham. When crews arrived, the four-storey building had been fully evacuated and everyone was accounted for. Crews entered the property wearing breathing apparatus and discovered a heavily smoke-logged communal kitchen on the fourth floor.

One casualty was passed into the care of SECAmb after breathing in smoke.

It is believed that a small fire started on the hob, after the contents of a pan ignited. After attempting to put out the fire, the casualty quickly left the building, closing the kitchen door behind them. This contained the smoke to the kitchen.

Fire crews used a main jet to ensure the fire was fully out and a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke from the kitchen.

Station Manager Vicki Board said: “Due to the type of accommodation and the amount of smoke reported, we initially sent six fire engines, however this was soon scaled down, after the had crews entered the property and found that the fire had mostly burnt out.
“The evacuation and roll call by the management of the premises was very efficient, and the information provided by them to arriving crews was very helpful. Fortunately, due to the door being closed, it was only the kitchen area that was smoke damaged, and the occupants have all been able to go back inside already.”

Following this incident Kent Fire and Rescue Service is sharing safety advice for students and reminding all residents to take extra care in the kitchen.