BREAKING KENT

Fire rips through property killing animals

fire rips through property killing animals

Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to King Edward Road in Ramsgate to reports of a house fire. Three fire engines attended and crews used two main jets and two hose reel jets to extinguish the flames. The fire started in the kitchen while food was left cooking in a pan on the hob unattended. The blaze destroyed the whole of the ground floor and the first floor of the property was smoke damaged. The one occupant was out of the property on arrival with no reported injuries, and firefighters managed to save two kittens, however sadly, several animals died including snakes, spiders, lizards and cats. Leanne McMahon, Group Manager for Community Safety at KFRS, said: Unfortunately, over half of all the fires we attend start in the kitchen and the majority are caused by unattended cooking, a build-up of grease and fat on the cooker, or by kitchen mishaps, where items such as tea towels, chopping boards or washing baskets have been left on the hob. “By taking a few moments to work out what is coming in between you and a fire safe mealtime, you can avoid a fire of this type happening. Help prevent a kitchen fire in your home by following these tips: Keep an eye on your cooking and remember to switch off your cooker if you have to leave the room Use a timer for items placed in your oven or grill to remind when your food is done and to save it from burning Plan and prepare – if you know you have a busy week ahead, try and plan in advance and prepare meals that do not require lots of cooking Avoid storing or placing household items on your cooker or stove Keep your cooker, grill and oven clean to avoid a build-up of grease and fat that could start a fire Keep children and pets well away from your cooking area Ensure electric cookers, toasters and microwaves are turned off at the mains when you have finished using them Fit a working smoke alarm on each floor of your home and test it weekly to ensure it provides early warning in the event of a fire”