BREAKING ISLE OF WIGHT

Cowes Couple Lucky escape after Refrigerator Fire

cowes couple lucky escape after refrigerator fire

A couple’s family home in Cowes has been saved after they were alerted by a smoke alarm this evening. Two crews from Newport and Cowes fire station were called to the property just before 8pm on Tuesday evening.
The family had escaped from the house before the fire service arrived. The blaze was contained to the utility room. An Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: “We received a call at 7.50pm this evening. “The owner had escaped by the time we got there. The fire was contained in the utility after a fault with the refrigerator. “We had two crews there. The spokesman went on to say: “The smoke alarm in this property has given the family valuable time to escape the fire. “If this family did not have the alarm installed, the likelihood is this fire would have had a far worse outcome. “Everyone should have smoke alarms fitted and they need to be tested at least on a weekly basis.Checking your smoke alarm works takes less than 10 seconds but can save your property or life.