Man who walked to local Police station and confessed to murder is jailed for life

man who walked to local police station and confessed to murder is jailed for life

A man who killed his mum and then calmly walked to his local police station to confess has been sentenced to life imprisonment.

Majid Butt, 51 of Gade Close, Hayes, pleaded guilty to murder at the Old Bailey on Wednesday, 5 September.

He was sentenced at the same court on Wednesday, 12 September to life imprisonment to serve a minimum term of 15 years and 10 months.

The court heard how Butt had walked from his home into Hayes police station at around 1pm on Sunday, 13 May, where he calmly told a police officer that he had killed his mother.

Officers attended the residential address in Gade Close, Hayes where both Butt and his mother lived.

They found the body of 71-year-old Mrs Onees Khatoon. She was pronounced dead a short while later.

Detectives from the Homicide and Major Crime Command launched an investigation.

In an interview under caution with detectives, Butt admitted strangling his mother with an electrical cable.

A post-mortem examination took place at Fulham Mortuary on Monday, 14 May and found evidence of asphyxia and neck compression.

Butt had told officers at the police station that he had an argument with his mother and she threatened to throw him out of the house. He had said: “I came here to confess that I have strangled my mother.”

Butt was charged the following day with murder, and convicted as above.

Detective Chief Inspector Noel McHugh, from the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command said: “This is a tragic case for everyone connected with the family. Onees had limited mobility due to a number of quite serious health issues including heart problems and diabetes.

“Distressingly, the person who she raised and was supposed to be taking care of her in old age has turned on her with fatal consequences. She was in no position to defend herself. I would like to pay tribute to the officers who quickly attended the address and the family members coping with this tragic loss.”