BREAKING ISLE OF WIGHT

Fire crews called to small kitchen fire

fire crews called to small kitchen fire

Fire crews from Ryde and Newport rushed to a property in Ryde in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

The two teams of fire fighters from the Isle of Wight fire and rescue service were called to a kitchen fire on Melville Street after stove set light to a box that was place above the cooker.

Crews in breathing appurtus with a hose reel tackled the small fire just before 5.30am.

The alarm was raised after a working smoke alarm fitted within the property alerted the owner.

No one is understood to have been hurt.

Newport and Ryde firefighters were called to a flat on Melville Street at 5.21am.

The fire service said the fire started after a box was left on a stove.