NHS Trust has praised the superb professionalism from staff during major incident

woman dead after fatal bus crash on the isle of wight 25 are injured

Hospital boss of the Isle of Wight NHS Trust has praised the superb professionalism and care of staff in dealing with the major incident that was stood up following a crash on Forest Road in Newport.

A large number of casualties and many seriously injured following a crash between 2 cars and a bus, the Isle of Wight NHS Trust responded to the tragic situation by implementing its full Major Incident procedure.

The decision to declare a major incident resulted in additional staff from across the trust being made available to care for the significant number of patients arriving in a short space of time alongside continuing to care for existing patients. The activation also called into action the Isle of Wight council calling on Community outreach support workers to
attended the hospital and work on wards to release staff nurses and doctors to assist in other parts of the hospital.

Speaking about Sunday afternoon’s events, Maggie Oldham, Chief Executive of the Isle of Wight NHS Trust, has said:

“Our thoughts go out to everyone involved in yesterday’s tragedy, and particularly the family and friends of the person who sadly lost their life.

“I am extremely thankful and proud of all our staff for how they responded to the incident, of their superb professionalism and care, and how everyone rallied to help, whether or not they were on duty.

“Ambulance staff responded quickly to the emergency both on site and in the control room. Eight emergency ambulance attended the incident alongside four air ambulances. Also on scene were other specialist trained clinicians from the trust, fire service and police.

“The ambulance service assessed all those involved in the incident and despite best efforts, one person was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.

“A further eighteen required triage, treatment and transport; two were transferred directly from scene via air ambulance to Southampton General Hospital and the remaining sixteen were conveyed to St Mary’s Emergency Department. One patient was then transferred to Brighton Hospital which was the next available major trauma centre. The remaining patients were treated at St Mary’s, with one requiring admission”.