Second arrest made over teen Hackney murder

second arrest made over teen hackney murder

Detectives investigating the murder of 15-year-old Tashaûn Aird in Hackney have arrested a teenager.

A 16-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of murder this morning, Thursday, 9 May, and taken into custody at a north-west London police station, where he remains.

The development comes as police continue to ask for the public to submit information that could assist their investigation into the murder,

Police were called to Somerford Grove, N16 at 8.54pm on Wednesday, 1 May to reports of a stabbing.

Tashaûn was found at the scene suffering from stab injuries and despite the extensive efforts of emergency services, he died at 9.49pm.

A post-mortem examination was held on Thursday, 2 May and gave the provisional cause of death as a stab wound to the lung.

The Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command are investigating the incident, in which a 16-year-old was also stabbed in Somerford Grove. His injuries are not life-threatening; he has now been released from hospital.

Detective Chief Inspector Helen Rance, of the Homicide and Major Crime Command, is leading the investigation.

She said: “Our investigation is making good progress and my officers are following a number of lines of inquiry, but we know there is more work for us to do in tracking down all of those involved in this horrific murder of a teenage boy who had his whole life in front of him.

“We know that witnesses saw Tashaûn and the 16-year-old victim being attacked by a group of youths in a park near Somerford Grove. Tashaûn was part of a group of about six when four suspects ran at them. We retain an open mind as to any motive behind this terrible incident.

“It would have been quite a scene and following the confrontation everyone fled.

“If you haven’t spoken to police about what you saw, I need you to get in touch. If you are worried about telling police, or even if you don’t want to speak to us directly, I would urge you to use anonymous methods such as Crimestoppers where you could provide vital information without even having to give your name.

“The people who killed Tashaûn and seriously injured another 16-year-old boy must be removed from the community, and only you can help us do it.”

Tashaûn’s family said in a statement: “Tashaûn was family orientated, he loved his family and we loved him dearly. He was passionate about his music and he loved drawing. He was a loving, caring boy with an infectious laugh.

“There are no words to avoid this empty void we now have, a huge part of us is now missing. He was a talented young boy and worked hard in his studies, particularly with his English. We are deeply shocked and saddened by our loss; we have lost a dear son, a brother, a nephew, a grandson and an uncle in Tashaûn.”

Anyone who can assist police is asked to call 101 quoting CAD 7861/01MAY19 or the incident room on 020 8721 4266. Alternatively tweet @MetCC or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

An 18-year-old man was arrested on Sunday, 5 May and charged Monday, 6 May with the murder of Tashaûn Aird and grievous bodily harm with intent in relation to a second victim.

He appeared at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, 7 May before appearing at the Central Criminal Court on Thursday, 9 May.