Fire Crew called to Chimney Fire in Bembridge

fire crews called to gas tanker breaks over heating in brading

An Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service Crew stationed at Sandown have been called out to  deal  with  Chimney Fire in Bembridge this evening.

The crew was called out to Love Lane in Bembridge on the Isle of Wight  just after 7.15pm this evening (Saturday).

Firefighters  are using a stirrup pump and rods to put out the fire in the chimney, and using a thermal imaging camera to make sure it  that is  completely out.


A  spokesman from Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service said “Keeping your chimney clean and free of debris helps prevent any build-up of combustible deposits that could catch fire.
“If your Chimney hasn’t been used for a while have it checked and cleaned”

“During the summer, when chimneys aren’t used much, they can also become home to birds’ nests, cobwebs or other material that helps a chimney fire start.

“Birds’ nests and other debris can also block the flue, which means smoke and deadly carbon monoxide gas, released during burning, can seep back into the house and poison anyone there.
”We recommend that you have a working carbon monoxide detector in any room with solid fuel appliance.”


The fire service have  the following advice:

  • Ensure chimneys are swept regularly by a professional chimney sweep.
  • Between “sweeps” keep chimneys, flues and appliances clean and well maintained
  • Always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers
  • Store fuel away from the appliance so sparks do not set it alight
  • Ensure the fire is completely out before going to bed or leaving the house
  • Ensure good quality and appropriate fuel is used
  • Avoid blocking air vents or air bricks or interrupting the air supply

There are a number of associations where you can search for a chimney sweep:

  • The Association of Professional Independent Chimney Sweep on 0845 604 4327