Police officers on the Isle of Wight along with colleagues from Trading Standards are reminding people to be vigilant after possible rogue trader activity on the Island.
Although no formal complaints have been received at the current time we are concerned that residents may be quoted a price for services, which is then later grossly inflated when the work is done.
Employing doorstep traders can also lead to shoddy or incomplete work being carried out.
Officers have issued the following advice:
• Always check the credentials of unknown callers.
• Never employ cold-calling doorstep traders or engage with cold callers on the phone.
• Consider joining or setting up a No Cold Calling Zone or Neighbourhood Watch scheme.
• Report any suspicious callers or activity to the police immediately.
• Keep an eye on elderly or vulnerable neighbours, friends and family.
If you want to report any suspicious activity please dial 101 or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, where information can be left anonymously. In an emergency always dial 999.
Isle of Wight Council’s Trading Standards team also offer advice via their website or by calling (01983) 823370.