LATEST NEWS

Person rescued from Gillingham Kitchen blaze

Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to a kitchen fire in a property near Gordon Road in Gillingham this morning. (Thursday)

Two fire appliances were sent to the scene and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire.

Fortunately, crews were able to rescue one casualty from the smoke-logged property and all other residents had self-evacuated prior to arrival.

Firefighters treated the casualties before they were passed into the care of SECAmb paramedics as a precaution.

The cause of fire is believed to be accidental.

A high pressure fan was used to ventilate the house, and crews fitted smoke alarms at the property.

Following the incident, firefighters are urging people the public to be extra careful in the kitchen and to never leave cooking unattended.

Crews also urge the public to ensure their property always has fitted working smoke alarms on each floor and to test them weekly to ensure they are working fully.