A man has been jailed for stabbing a 15-year-old Jay Hughes to death

a man has been jailed for stabbing a 15 year old jay hughes to death

Jay Hughes was waiting for a friend when he was randomly attacked and fatally injured.

Nyron Baptiste, 18 of Penge had been previously been found guilty of Jay’s murder on 20 July. He appeared at the Old Bailey on Friday, 2 August, and was sentenced to life imprisonment and told he must serve a minimum term of 19 years. He also received four months detention for Possession of an Offensive Weapon, to be served concurrently. He had not previously been named due to his age, but Baptiste has now turned 18.

The Judge in her sentencing remarks stated that she was in no doubt that the “brazen, quick and ruthless attack” was planned and that Nyron had intended to kill the victim.

The court heard how on Thursday, 1 November 2018, Jay was waiting for a friend outside a chicken shop in Randlesdown Road, Bellingham.

While he waited, a young man Jay knew approached and began to speak to him. During the conversation, a black Ford Galaxy pulled up to the junction of Brookhowse Road with Randlesdown Road.

Three males, armed with large machete type knives, got out of the car and ran towards Jay and his acquaintance. The person Jay was talking to ran off and was pursued by two of the armed males.

However, Jay did not run and CCTV showed him innocently waiting outside the shop. It was at this point that the defendant approached Jay and proceeded to stab him once in the left-hand side of his upper body.

A witness later told police they heard the person who stabbed Jay say, “I got one” and that Jay did not say or do anything to provoke the attack. After stabbing Jay, the suspect ran back towards to vehicle.

The other two armed suspects who had chased, but not caught, the other boy then ran back to the car, which reversed and drove off at speed.

After being stabbed, Jay staggered into the chicken shop, where customers began first aid.

Emergency services were alerted at 5.22pm and on arrival, paramedics worked frantically to save Jay’s life. He was taken to Kings College Hospital, however, the stab wound had pierced Jay’s heart and despite every effort, he was pronounced dead at 8.15pm.

A post-mortem examination held at Greenwich Mortuary on Sunday, 4 November, gave the cause of death was given as a single stab wound to the heart.

An immediate investigation was begun by detectives from the Homicide and Specialist Crime Command.
CCTV from the chicken shop captured the car used by the defendant; this was located on Linden Grove, on Monday, 5 November.

Forensic analysis found Jay’s blood present in the back seat of the vehicle.

Further evidence was obtained, that linked the defendant’s movements with the movements of the car.

On Friday, 23 November officers visited the defendant’s address in Penge to carry out an arrest, but he had fled the area. Following enquires, he was later arrested in Gravesend, Kent, on Monday, 10 December, after an officer recognised him as he walked along the street.

On arrest, a large hunting knife was found in the waistband of his trousers and he was further arrested for possession of a bladed article.

He was remanded into custody and later charged as above.

Jay’s mother, Cindy Hughes in her victim impact statement said: “Jai was my first son and was very special to me. I was proud of the young man he was becoming and proud to call him my son. I loved his zest for life, his confidence, his positivity, his fantastic sense of humour his constant smile and most of all his kind heart. We shared some great times together joking and laughing as he reminded me so much, of myself at his age. He was just a normal teenager but was always respectful, which was a quality he also tried to instil in his younger brothers.

“I have so many special memories of Jai. Even from a baby, he always had something in his mouth. From a dummy as a baby to bottles of drink, straws – even held his headphones in his mouth. He loved playing with his toys, especially his Ben 10. I remember teaching him to ride a bike, so well. He persisted until he could do it and never got off the rest of his life. He went everywhere on it. Even one of his teacher’s eulogy referred to “that blessed bike!”

“During the last 9 months, I have been through, and am still going through a range of emotions – shock, devastation, confusion, anger, denial. I am so empty and sad inside it is heart-wrenching. It is like a part of me has died as well.

“Nyron Jean Baptise, you need to realise that you have changed our lives forever and that we are the ones left serving a life sentence. My only hope for you is that you can be truly rehabilitated and return to society as a better person. One day if you have children of your own, you may begin to understand the devasting impact your actions had on the lives of so many people.”

Jay’s grandmother Sophia Sewell said in part of her victim impact statement: “There’s a lot I want to say to the defendant, but wouldn’t be suitable, however I’d like to say to Nyron Jean Baptise. This was unacceptable and you will no doubt be in prison for a long time. I hope you use some of that time to reflect on the pain that you’ve caused my whole family. Maybe when you have children you might understand and regret that you took an innocent life and for what? Why?. We ourselves will never understand and we will always be grieving.”

Detective Sergeant Anthony Atkin, who works in Homicide part of Specialist Crime said: “Jay Hughes was just a 15-year-old boy who was simply buying food and waiting for a friend to spend the evening at a youth club; this could have been anyone’s child that evening. What Jay did not know, was that at that moment Nyron Jean-Baptiste had armed himself with a large knife and set out with others intent on violence.

“CCTV captured the moments as Nyron arrived in a car. Jay was standing outside the shop with another, who was chased off. Nyron approached a defenceless Jay who had not provoked or sought to flee. I doubt that Jay truly understands what was about to happen.

Nyron indiscriminately stabbed Jay in the chest piercing his heart and then boasted that he had ‘got one’ as he ran back to the car. I am at a loss to understand how anyone could carry out such a wickedly despicable act.

Nyron was identified and eventually tracked down and arrested. Even after all the horror, he inflicted with a weapon, a large hunting knife was found in the waistband of his trousers on arrest. Throughout the trial Nyron denied his involvement, claiming he did not know where he was that day.

The jury, after careful consideration of the evidence, saw through this and found him guilty of this heinous act. Today at sentencing, as he has done throughout the investigation and trial, Nyron has shown no remorse. He now has a minimum of 19 years to reflect on what he has done and the pain and suffering he has inflicted on jay, his family, his friends and all those who witnessed this brutal act.

My heart goes out to Jay’s family who are obviously devastated by the loss of their precious young child. I can only hope that the sentence passed today will help in some small way.

Lastly, I would also like thank those people who came to Jay’s aid and those who came forward and assisted the investigation. Many people came to help that night and it is important that when wickedness has been done, the good that lies within a community is not forgotten.”