Six fire engines and around 40 firefighters were called to a cinema on High Road in Wood Green.
Part of the roof was damaged by the blaze. Around 800 people left the building before the Brigade arrived. Firefighters helped staff evacuate the premises. The alarm was raised by a member of staff after they saw smoke coming from a sign on the roof.
The Brigade was called at 1.20pm and the fire was under control by 2.33pm Fire crews from Hornsey, Southgate, Tottenham and Stoke Newington fire stations attended the incident.
The cause of the fire was caused by an electrical fault in a lighting unit on the roof.