Jail for gang members who admitted carrying out attack in east London street

screenshot 2020 02 26 at 18.36.11

Adnan Choudhury, 23, of Raine Street, Tower Hamlets, was sentenced to 10 years and six months’ imprisonment at Snaresbrook Crown Court, after pleading guilty on Thursday, 6 June 2019 to causing grievous bodily harm (GBH) with intent.

Tanbir Hussain, 22, of Smithy Street, Tower Hamlets, was sentenced to seven years and four months’ imprisonment after pleading guilty on Tuesday, 5 February 2019 to causing GBH with intent. He was also sentenced to 16 months’ imprisonment after pleading guilty to possession of a knife which will run concurrently.

Both were sentenced on Tuesday, 25 February.

The court heard how at around 8.00pm on Monday, 26 November 2018, Hussain and Choudhury were loitering outside a shop on Mile End Road, Tower Hamlets.

The victim – a 27 year-old man – walked along the road in the direction of the group, and a fight immediately broke out.

Choudhury kicked and punched the victim, with Hussain joining in, causing the victim to fall.

While the victim lay on the ground, Hussain pulled out a knife from his waistband and stabbed the victim once in the stomach before making off.

Choudhury continued to attack the victim, and threw a number of kicks and punches.

Choudhury then picked up a glass bottle from the ground and struck the victim over the head with it twice, before fleeing.

Officers and colleagues from London Ambulance Service attended the scene. The victim was taken to an east London hospital where he was treated for the stab wound to the stomach and trauma to his head. He has since made a full recovery.

The attack was caught on CCTV cameras and officers recognised both Hussain and Choudhury as the assailants.

Detectives in Tower Hamlets launched an immediate investigation.

Choudhury was arrested on the Tuesday, 1 January 2019, and Hussain was arrested on Monday, 7 January 2019.

Detective Constable Andrew Bray, of the Met’s Central East CID team, said:

“This was a vicious and prolonged attack which left the victim with significant injuries – he is lucky to still be alive.

“The conviction and sentencing of Hussain and Choudhury means two dangerous individuals have been removed from our streets. I hope the victim feels some justice has been done knowing these two men are behind bars.”