Firefighters are urging people to ensure they have smoke alarms fitted in their property after a fire at a block of flats in Barking in the early hours of this morning.
The occupants were asleep when the fire broke out in a 10th floor flat.
Part of the flat in The Coverdales was damaged by fire. One adult and five children left the affected property and around 80 people left the building before the arrival of the Brigade.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Fortunately, this flat was fitted with working smoke alarms that raised the alarm and alerted the occupant to the fire but there could have been a very different outcome if there had been no smoke detection.
“Everyone should have multiple smoke alarms fitted in their property and have a heat alarm in the kitchen to give the earliest warning if there is a fire in your home.”
The Brigade was called at 0205 and the fire was under control at 0301. Five fire engines and 31 firefighters and officers from Barking, East Ham, Plaistow and Ilford fire stations attended the scene.
The cause of the fire is believed to be due to a faulty immersion heater.