UK News in Pictures

Home Breaking A2 Reopens after Police successfully Talk Down Distressed Solider from Footbridge in Sidcup

A2 Reopens after Police successfully Talk Down Distressed Solider from Footbridge in Sidcup

Specialist Police officers have successfully talked down a serving soldier from a footbridge that saw an entire straight of the A2 closed for nearly four hours in the early hours of Tuesday morning. Emergency services rushed to the scene just after midnight when they were made aware of a concern for welfare of a male. The Entire stretch of the A2 was brought to a standstill after a man climbed on top of footbridge after cutting his wrists just after midnight on Tuesday morning.

_psEmbed(“”); Traffic officers from the Met Police closed the A2 in both directions after a concern for welfare of the serving Solider. Specialist police negotiators spent several hours speaking to the man – before eventually talking him down to safety at about 3.30am. Traffic on the A2 was stuck for over four hours whilst specialist officers talk with the distressed man. The road was closed and considerable traffic tailed back and could be seen on both sides. Officers freed the trapped traffic by using an onslip to turn vehicles around and take them off the A2. Eyewitnesses have described seeing the man standing on the wrong side of railings and police officers attempting to talk the man down. Officers have not confirmed what has caused them to close the north and southbound carriageways of the A2 East Rochester Way but it is believed to be because of a man on a bridge over the dual carriageway at Buckingham Avenue and concerns for drivers safety. Further concerns were raised over police pursuit of a stolen motorbike that had been pursued from the Kent area with the assistance of the NPAS helicopter. Officers were worried that it may hit trapped drivers who were on the carriageway. A spokesperson for the Met Police at the scene said: “The A2 was closed in both directions after we received concerns for the welfare of a man. “The situation is now being dealt with by special trained officers. Paramedics are now treating the man and he will be given further help and support.” “We would like to thank motorists for their understanding.” The A2 was closed at around 12am and was reopen around 3.30am. A number of Police officers along with an ambulance, a paramedic, an ambulance officer and two HART crews from London Ambulance service and Specialist police negotiators were in attendance.

social media2

Never miss another Breaking story again


You can sign up to get the latest news, top stories and exclusives sent straight to your WhatsApp from the UKNIP team.


To get stories sent to you, you need to already have WhatsApp. All you need to do is click this link and select ‘join community’

No one will be able to see who is signed up and no one can send messages except the UKNIP team. you can read your privacy policy notice.

Click here to join our WhatsApp community.

Follow UKNIP 

Similar Article To this

UK News in Pictures delivers instant news and picture coverage as the story unfold. Stay current with breaking stories thanks to this round-the-clock news service. Operating 24/7, it provides up-to-the-minute reporting on breaking news, community updates, and more, ensuring you’re always informed, wherever you are, every day of the week.

Edtior's Picks

© 2024 All Rights Reserved. Designed and Developed by UKNIP

Adblock Detected

Please support us by disabling your AdBlocker extension from your browsers for our website.